Apart from my first quilt that I made in a class this is the first quilt that I have made start to finish in less than a month. You can see it as a work in progress here. I am so proud of it, every time I spotted it around the house I was so thrilled. I have called it Disco Quilt because of all the little mirror ball dots. I must admit when I was faced with all that shiny fabric I was a little overwhelmed but now it is pieced and quilted and washed and crinkled it just looks brilliant.
It has been wrapped up and sent off with my mum who was staying this weekend to take it and deliver it to a special little girl. I really hope that she likes it. I didn’t label it, which I am starting to regret but I can always sneak in and add a label when I am down on holiday. I had to photograph it inside, due to enforced delivery date and crazy winds and weather. The pictures are well lit but I just can’t get far enough away to get a proper photo of the whole quilt.
I love the backing fabric and although I wish I had managed to get enough for a whole back I do like the added pieced panel on the back. In the end I decided to have a go with the spray baste and I loved it. Anything bigger might be a struggle for me but for this it was great. I lugged it around and in and out of my machine and it stayed together beautifully.
The quilting always scares me but I attached my walking foot, took a deep breath and got on with it! I am more than happy with how it turned out. There are certainly some wonky lines but you have to really search to find them and once I had finished binding (handsewn to the back), washed and tumble dried it you can’t see it at all. I was in two minds with the quilting whether to do twice as much, going through every square twice but I really liked how the simple quilting gives the illusion of on point half square triangles too.
Disco Quilt Stats:
Pattern: St Louis 16 Patch
Size: 42″ x 56″
(Back) Print from local fabric shop. More Mirror Ball Dots.
(Binding) Klona Cotton Ash from Backstitch
Quilting: Machine quilted using variegated Aurifil 50wt