I did it. I finally felt brave enough to try and make myself something to wear. I decided to use this navy polka dot fabric from my local sewing store for my first try. I have some special quilting cotton set aside for a dress but I had to have a go at it first. I wanted to make myself a Washi dress – I have had the pattern for a while but after talking to Joanne at Fat Quarterly Retreat and admiring her Anna Maria Horner Echinacea version I had to try.
It is not perfect – I managed to sew the neckline facings to the front of the dress – happy this is an option for contrast fabric and on this fabric it hardly shows up at all. It was a very proud moment when I cracked the shirring – it wasn’t easy and without this video explaining what I needed to do to my machine I would never have done it. I messed up the armhole binding, but I know what I did wrong.
I love the dress. It fits well and it has pockets which all dresses should have. The fabric does not photograph well so sorry if it sends your eyes funny!
I have already started my next one in my precious Cotton & Steel fabric, for a wedding that I am going to this weekend. I can see many Washi dresses in my future.
This was one of my projects in my Finish Along 2014 – Q3 list.